Wednesday, June 08, 2005

On Writing as a Profession


Writing is an inherently solitary pursuit; except when you are a reporter. Newspapers and magazines have an atmosphere of urgency and panic your senses take in the moment you walk through the reception door. Every worker, from production intern to advertising account executive to the Editor and Publisher themselves, is in a constant state of anxiety. The writers are under pressure to get the scoop, produce story ideas, write something brilliant, and get it done before deadline.

I loved this life: It's tailor-made for arrogant whippersnappers like me. The older writers called it "showing off", but I prefer to think of it as grace under pressure and natural talent. *sniff* Anyway, if you think talent and attitude will get you ahead in this business, you are out of your damn mind! What gets you ahead in Journalism are the same things that get you ahead in every other line of work: knowing the right people/kissing the right asses/fucking the right dupe, and successfully navigating the shark-infested drama sea. I chose the latter and after being the go-to person and problem-solver for a great number of complete yutzes, found myself deeply back-stabbed and on the chopping block. Disgusted, I hid from my boss and resigned to the Business Manager, pre-emptively quitting. Ha!

I tried to bring that electrified atmosphere to 'zines I worked for and the one I created, but something was missing. It took me ages to figure out that something was: misery.

Now that I am a freelance writer, solitary and not miserable, my writing has dramatically improved; a new focus and an expansion of natural style replaced competitive cleverness. As my friend Martha Stewart would say, it's a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home