Sunday, August 14, 2005

Siblings and Beach town living

Superfly boyfriend, Trouble Jr., and I all zipped off to Rhode Island to visit with one of my sisters this past weekend. Well, first I accepted a new job, met SFB at Penn Sta, met Trouble Jr. from her train, gave her a quick tour of midtown Manhattan, and cabbed down to Canal St. to open her eyes and mind to the wonders that are available at each corner. Equipped with snazzy Faux-Chanel sunglasses and a remarkable knockoff of this season's new Chanel handbag, Trouble Jr. had NO problem fitting in to the downtown scene.

The Friday night New England drive up I-95 is a fresh torture best slept through (unless you are the one driving). Still, we made it in pretty good time and arrived in high style. My older sister is a personal trainer to this beach town's wealthy and vain. She's smart, funny, and incredibly gorgeous. When we get together we revert to our old childhood roles, which I guess is a common habit amongst siblings. She's bossy as hell and I like to bait her into a frothy rant. When we were teenagers, we fought like hungry pit bulls, but now we stick to comments about each other's hair, clothing, and moustaches.

Her husband is a real guys'-guy: an Italian from New Jersey. She has three sons, so that is one spectacularly testosteronic home. Having Trouble Jr. and I there was a welcome respite from the constant farting and omnipresent sports equipment she normally faces, each weekend. Plus, Trouble Jr.'s always been her aunt's surrogate little girl. What's really scary is that my daughter and my older sister have THE EXACT SAME PERSONALITY! So, I can tell her something 50 times, but she hears it the first time her aunt says it. Example: Trouble Jr. starts coughing. I mention that she should probably quit smoking, since she has asthma. Her Aunt promptly screams and bosses and generally has a giant hissyfit about her smoking. My daughter then hisses at me that she's pissed off I told her aunt that she smokes. Oy.

Superfly definitely bonded with the boys when he went Boogie Boarding with them. Judging by the enormous grin on his face, I'd say SF had a great time. But that was nothing compared to the fun bonding experience he had with my Brother-in-Law, clamming. Something about double-plungers and mud holes...I don't know, I was shopping with my sister. Anyway, SF is totally IN with that sister + family. Only two more to go! :)

I'll have you know that I marinated in sunscreen and came away from a scorching day at the beach with not a spot of sunburn. I romped around in the surf and tried my hand at Boogie Boarding. I suck at that, but it's ok: I can't rule at EVERYTHING. SF took lots of pics, but I won't allow them posted here, so don't ask. I look very fat in them. And pulling a face that makes it look like I have more chins than a Chinese phonebook. So, hell no.

But, just so you know, Naragansett Beach in Rhode Island is fab-u-lous!

3 Comments:

Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

So glad you had fun!

Also happy to hear Superfly boyfriend is popular with your family :-)

Love ya!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

I'm glad you had fun. Yet I'm super irritated that you were again maybe less than an hour from me and I STILL didn't get to meet you. Anyway, I'm glad you had fun!! I still love you!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Aww, baby! We sat in traffic for 5 hours on the way up and had to haul balls on the way back at 6am to get Trouble Jr. on her train.

We drove past your Exit and said, "Hey, we could visit some Cleavage..." but couldn't.

I still love you and look forward to meeting you in person! I been looking at your JDirt pics and my, oh my, you are scrumptious!

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home