Thursday, August 04, 2005

Weighing In


wheeee! Posted by Picasa

The Dove girls. Extremely normal-looking non-models schilling for Dove firming cream, or some other nonsense. You cannot take your eyes off them...look! That one has a tattoo! Are those stretch marks? Hooray for Dove! I've long lamented the crackpot idea that a stick-insect with lipstick is the epitome of feminine beauty, so you bet I joined the choir of "At Last! Some marketing department FINALLY gets it!"

The laziest of internet research on this campaign will turn up Unilever's (parent company of Dove and other brands) earnest desire to change society's views of women's bodies, and women's self-image. And not just through this advertising campaign: an impressive show of we-really-mean-it is revealed in their targeted programs to teen girls about positive body image and, even better, money poured into programs run in communities to bolster self-image and fight the growing trends of anorexia and bulimia in increasingly younger girls. Hell fucking yeah.

So, when I read this assmuncher on Slate mewling about how fat women are suddenly going to stop being motivated to lose weight because of this campaign featuring fat girls, I startled my co-workers with a What the Fuck? Um, excuse me? Those women on every billboard, bus, and magazine are not fat. If you think they are fat, brother, you are perfectly exemplifying the problem! He also worries, for Dove/Lever's sake, that Dove will be branded the "fat girl's product". He can't be serious. Obviously, Sethiepoo doesn't understand the first thing about women and brand loyalty. Feh! We spend gangster wads of cash at frigging Body Shop because they are Eco-friendly, and that shit smells bad and doesn't work! I'm wracking my brain to think of a fat girl's product, and all I can come up with is Ring-Dings.

I'm pleased to read today that Dove has no intention of stopping this ad campaign. To test my theory that men love normal girls and fantasize about the personal-trainer/nutritionist/cocaine/airbrushing others only abstractly, I will hold up the Dove ad and the Victoria Secret ad side-by-side and observe Superfly's reaction. Although, I should point out (full disclosure!) he's already said the barista in the Dove ad is hot. I'll report my findings in the comments section.



So, what do you hot pieces of ass think about Dove, etc?

2 Comments:

Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

I say GO DOVE!! It's about friggin time. Beautiful women come in all shapes and sizes. Perhaps these men that fantasize about the perfect petite supermodel anorexic women should take a good luck at themselves and they will see that they are not so perfect after all.

Anyway, thank you for bringing this ad campaign to our attention Ms. Trouble.

6:33 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I think those commercials are great. Not everyone is a "Lollipop Girl" as they call them in LA. Big heads and stick bodies. And when you see some of these women in person they look scary thin.

It's definitely time to embrace all types of women and I applaud Dove for their efforts.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home