Monday, August 01, 2005

Oy


Like my sunburn? Posted by Picasa

Superfly and I spent a somewhat-tortuous weekend in the Hamptons. I know, that's hard to believe, isn't it? Suffice to say it wasn't what we expected, we were often miserable, and arriving home was Heaven.

Speaking of Heaven and Hell, I got the mother of all sunburns while sitting on Haven's Beach in Sag Harbor. Let me just say that it was so overcast, I thought it would rain any second. It didn't occur to me to put on sunscreen until a passerby told me I was pink. Oh, to be pink again. I am fire engine, lobster, hot Mustang Cobra red, scalp to toenails. All I need is horns and a tail to send people fleeing in mortal terror. Indeed, usually grim-faced strangers on the street are staring at me, even slowing their Death March to take a good look. I am not a monster! Er, well, I guess that depends upon whom you ask.

Anyway, I went to the deli at lunchtime to load up on green beans and sesame tofu and was chagrined to see people shrinking over to the opposite side of the sneeze guard from me. Went to the counter with my steaming plastic box and a 20oz. Dr. Brown's (Black Cherry) and, for the love of Elvis, came up short by $1.29. Before I could ask the Korean lady to subtract the soda, a man handed her $2 and smiled very sweetly at me. I thanked him and he wished me a nice day. Yes, this happened in New York City, folks.

Of course, on my return to the office, my co-workers pointed out that I was redder than when I left. As if that's possible!

So if you see the ocean of pedestrians parting like the red sea, and hear lots of gasping, look for a girl whose skin is redder than her hair. That smell you're trying to place is Aloe Vera gel. I'm encased in cool green jelly.

I'd love to hear your worst/best sunburn story. Especially if it's worse than mine. Do tell!

5 Comments:

Blogger glo said...

pics please

12:41 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Pssst! Glo-baby, check the link! ;)

12:54 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

AWWW, Poor Trubs! OUCH!!!

Thank Gawd for Aloe vera :-)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

Aww I'm so sorry hun!! My worst sunburn story was when I was 17. I went to Myrtle Beach with my friends and I had a half tshirt on over my bathing suit. Well they taunted me and I kept saying I don't want my shoulders to burn. Well they tortured the hell out of me until I took it off and no one bothered to offer me their sunblock, they knew I didn't have any. I spent one day outside and burned so badly that I had to wash my bathing suit every night and wear it everyday as I couldn't wear a bra. The burns were horrific.

Fortunately, I turned tan shortly after, but it was so bad that I was tan for the entire year, including my senior pictures, which make me look like I'm of a different race.

Anyway, I called the Dr.'s office for relief and they told me to soak a tshirt in iced tea and put it on, it takes the sting out. Let me tell you that really does work.

I haven't gone sunbathing since.

5:18 PM  
Blogger glo said...

Can we say iodine and baby oil?, a spray bottle, full days in the sun and a crazy need to get tanned by someone who always burned (did I mention the reflecting pad?) … oy, oy, oy and ouch, ouch, ouch … ‘nuff said,

The 1970/80’s, gotta love 'em …

p.s. It's SPF 50 all the way now

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home