Thursday, July 27, 2006

WOT Favorites: Paul Weller

Paul Weller

Summer doesn't actual begin for me until I break out my Style Council CD or cassette or LP and play "Long Hot Summer". Everyone has a song or two that evokes their fondest summertime memories, and that's mine. At this point in a story like this, the author usually tells you how cool they were back in the day and how they knew such-and-such band before anyone else. To that I say, "Meh."

Thirty years of incredible talent and prolific genius. That's Paul Weller, folks. From The Jam to The Style Council to his solo work. You'll be hard-pressed to find a more consistently fascinating artist, never straying far from his socio-political message while staying true to his musicianship. He's still turning out relevant and kick-ass music, more than thirty years after his debut. In fact, his newest album, Catch-Flame! is available at your local record store.

My favorites are All Mod Cons, Absolute Beginners, and all The Style Council records, but you can pretty much pick any piece of music with Paul Weller's name on it and be guaranteed a fine piece of music.

His Modness is still a fine piece of man, too, which is why he's the first subject of my new blog feature: World of Trouble Favorites.

3 Comments:

Blogger Absinthe said...

Uh. Mah. Gaw.
I love the Style Council.
And I love 24-hr Party Ppl. I had a great time this weekend watching "Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story" starring Steve Coogan and directed by the same dude who did 24HPP.
I was also obsessed with Bewitched as a child, and never really got over that (Paul Lynde is a GOD, and I would swear to that in a court of law).
More later.
-A

1:02 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Folks, in case you haven't noticed, Miss Absinthe and I were separated at birth. And I couldn't be prouder: ain't she something?

9:23 PM  
Blogger marty said...

The Modfather is played often on Virgin Radio www.virginradio.co.uk
Email the DJ and mention "marty from new yawk", most of them know me.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home