Wednesday, July 19, 2006

That Smell

Hopefully, you're now humming Lynrd Skynrd.

Ever catch a whiff of something that made you want to hurl? (Besides the obvious trash/toilet/B.O stench, of course.) You looked around, trying to locate and identify the offending scent, and notice no one else was pale and gagging? I know a couple of people who cannot tolerate the smell of roasted chestnuts, for example. Some can't stand smelling gasoline, cut grass, or cigarette smoke. The smell of melons, any kind of melon, will send me fleeing and retching, and many common chemicals cause me to break out in dazzling hives.

Wonder where it comes from? According to this health reporter, it's not all in your head and it may not be an allergy.

Does this mean the next time we're trapped somewhere with someone who's been marinating in White Shoulders or Old Spice for two solid weeks, we can brain them with our umbrella? "Excuse me, Sir/Madam, your cologne is negatively affecting my chemical sensitivities. I must clobber you and drag you off to the East River for dunking. THAT smell I can abide."

8 Comments:

Blogger Bobulah said...

very interesting article. i work in a large office environment, and just today i've encountered four of the smells you mentioned (in particular, gasoline for some reason).

and why haven't you taken my music quiz yet?????

2:25 PM  
Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

Oh my god, iceberg lettuce is one of my smell phobias too, second only to the smell of fish! I can't handle eating iceberg lettuce either, for that matter, since it always looks so pale and sickly.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Absinthe said...

2 smells make me want to hurl: ground beef and clove cigarettes. The beef thing is pretty obvious (it's vomitous), but the clove thing is different... I don't know if it's b/c I dated a guy who smoked them or if it's just the vapid, dull, pretentious nature of the kind of people who tend to smoke them as a rule...
p.s. I'm enjoying your blog!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Bobulah said...

hey trouble, i get off work at noon today because i have to cover obits tomorrow. i'll be bored all afternoon, so i've decided to read your entire blog. i'm halfway through june '05 already. it may take all night. i'll post my top ten favorites on my blog when i'm finished, complete with links. muah! love ya, sexy woman.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Absinthe, I forgot about clove cigarettes. Totally with you on that one; blech!

Bobulicious, you are the absolute best. Love you!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Kmoney said...

Well we got the 3 C's here

Cantaloupe
Catsup
&
Cum Trees (aka "ghetto palms" or scientifically "Ailanthus altissima")

For those not in the know, "cum trees" are a foul smelling tree that grows in the Mid-Atlantic states that when it flowers in late May, smells like semen. Absolutely disgusting.

Oh yeah, missed 1...Axe body spray. Nope, dont like it at all. Axe, too often, is erroneously used as a substitute for a shower. Yech

6:35 PM  
Blogger Bobulah said...

hey, don't knock the axe, kmoney. tsunami smells yummy. it's sex in a can.
ps, i take a shower AND use axe, so bllleeecccchhh!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Bobulah said...

i know, star. he's so judgemental. like he wears armani. harumph!

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home