Friday, July 14, 2006

Clarification

Enough questions about my blog and my profile arose to warrant an explanation of terms. By calling myself "fashionably disabled", I'm not trying either to be cute or to assert that other disabled people are unfashionable.

I am indeed disabled, according to Social Security. A terrifyingly thorough investigation into my background, character, and medical history was conducted in order to make this determination. The process was tedious and ego-shattering. My lifestyle is pretty damn far from glamorous or fashionable, now that I am disabled.

The other disabled people I know feel more or less the same about their journey and changed way of life. We're happy to be alive, we're making the best of it, we're grateful to be living as normally as we can.

Normal for me just involves a lot of bedazzling, really fantastic shoes, and dirty gossip.

Hope this clears it up for ya.

4 Comments:

Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

"Bedazzling, really fantastic shoes and dirty gossip" work for me ;-)

Thanks for the clarification!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

I never gave it that much thought. I just thought you meant you were fashionable, as in you wore cute clothes and cute shoes. Maybe people are thinking you mean fashionable as in being disabled is the thing to do?

6:24 PM  
Blogger marty said...

Maybe you should use "stylishly" disabled? I think that would clear things up.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Bobulah said...

i thought it was a variation on the term fashion-impaired, which you are not, so it never made sense to me. now i understand.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home