Monday, July 10, 2006

SOaP


That's supposedly upcoming movie release Snakes on a Plane for you cave-dwellers who were watching "American Inventor" while this internet phenomenom made news all of the blogosphere and beyond.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger Samuel L. Jackson fan than me, but I'm still not buying this movie concept. I get that they're aiming for instant cult status with the guerilla marketing campaign, but the preciously clever "is it a real movie or ain't it?" bullshit sure is grating.

Try this: at a completely inappropriate moment among co-workers or fellow restaurant diners, say, "Snakes on a Plane," loudly. I promise you'll get at least one double-take, or chortle, or stare. Because this is how buzz is manufactured, don't you know.

If and when this movie comes out, we'll all go see it--lest we not be "cool".

In the meantime, enjoy this video of an impressionist taking on SOaP.

2 Comments:

Blogger Boogie said...

I've been privy to the SOaP phenomenon for at least a couple months...I've read the script, previewed a shitload of video, gone through more stills than I can count, and, to date, the only thing I remember about anything I've digested, whether in text or photographic (moving or otherwise) form is this: Samuel L. Jackson screaming (as he's done in every movie in which he's starred). In this particular movie, he screams "There are snakes on the motherfuckin' plane!"

It ain't gonna win any oscars but it will skyrocket to cult status to take its rightful place next to Napoleon Dynamite, Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, Rocky Horror, Dazed & Confused and Fast Times At Ridgemont High. Either that, or it will be a one-soundbyte wonder. Truth is, I think they greenlighted it just to confound those tight-ass critics on ABC, NBC and CBS. The blog-people get it, so hopefully Joel Seigel and the other morons who convinced me to go watch "Out of Africa" will too ;)

12:00 AM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Me no like snakes!

*shudders*

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home