Sunday, July 02, 2006

Reunion

In case anyone out there was wondering about my upcoming reunion: I can't go for financial reasons. It would have been fun, I certainly would have blogged about the whole experience for your edification.

In preparation for the reunion, Supe and I watched "Grosse Pointe Blank". Sure wish they'd done a follow-up for the 20th reunion of the class of '86! I didn't really buy Minnie Driver in the role of Debbie, but it didn't matter: Cusack, Cusack, and Dan Ackroyd. Brilliant!

I'm bummed about missing the reunion, but I did have an amazing experience I'll share with you:

Tonight, as I was driving home from a rather mundane night on the town, I caught a flash of light out of the corner of my eye and pulled off the road. I shut off the car lights and sat, enraptured.

A row of trees, backlit by starry sky. Hundreds of fireflies flashing in the dark, like tiny fairies at a woodland creature jamboree. It was, I assure you, breathtaking.

5 Comments:

Blogger marty said...

The best things in life are free.

(That's a trite cliche- sorry I s/b more original).

I'm sorry you won't attend the reunion. Maybe you can blog a "what if you did attend how you imagined it going" report.

2:26 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I haven't seen fireflies in a long time. What a picture you painted! I love it :-)

5:56 PM  
Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

I'm sorry that you didn't get to go to your reunion. I didn't even get invited to my 10th. I got an email about it, but then they changed the information and never got back to me.
The fireflies sound cool. I love fireflies.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Bobulah said...

trouble, i wish i had been there to experience that with you. marty, cliches are cliches because they are true. incredible, strange, beautiful things happen all around us, every day. we're just all too busy with unimportant stuff (errands, jobs, soccer practice) to notice. much love to all who know what is important: spontaneous moments of beauty.

10:47 PM  
Blogger I'm the Girl You Met Last Night said...

try not be be bummed you missed your reunion. maybe i'm just bitter, but i attended my 10 year and was quite disappointed. i imagined it all w/ such rose-colored John Hughes glasses: all inter-clique bonding and clinking glasses whilst reminiscing, & perhaps a culminating dance "moment: ala "Romy & Michele," but nah...

the people that matter from high school are the ones you're sitll in touch with anyway.

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home