Monday, July 03, 2006

Whine

What am I doing wrong? Is it a matter of luck? The right connections?

I am a reasonably talented writer with an excellent education and considerable (published in magazines, newspapers, online, and in a real book!) experience. I take writing classes and network at every opportunity. I scour editorial want-ads and apply myself like cheap wallpaper. We'll call this the "+" column.

The "-" column: I don't have rich or influential parents. I went to the University of Denver, a school known mainly for it's excellent hockey program and for churning out tax attorneys. Instead of interning, like all the cool kids, I alienated helpful mainstream media contacts by writing for underground, subversive 'zines and websites. Even three years with "alternative media" Borg New Times, Inc. in the absolute eye of the editorial hurricane, helped my writing career not one whit.

Pimpin' ain't easy, that's fo sho. My lovely book proposal--shopped around using bona fide tips, not blindly feeding the slush pile--is ignored more than Kathy Griffin.

Which brings me to my whine. This The Devil Wears Prada book? And, especially, Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing? Piece of shit books, made into piece of shit movies, making piece of shit writers millionaires. Any bookstore offers acres more shit books. Every magazine and newspaper you pick up reveals horrible writing, a dearth of interesting story ideas, and zero creativity.

Clearly, this is not a difficult job to do, just a difficult one to obtain.

Petulantly, I shall keep doing what I'm doing and keep fingers crossed that luck still plays some small part in becoming a successful writer, and that I'll trip over a pile of luck soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

OK, you asked so I will answer...

I adored "The Devil Wears Prada." Her writing was pleasant. BUT, her subject matter was "the hook." We ALL have had bosses from Hell and hers just happened to be an incredibly famous person.

I know at least 3 people with book deals and they all have a hook to reel people in. It may make them a "one trick pony," it may not. But at least for book # 2 they will have an established audience for whatever else it is they may want to write.

I read at least 20 blogs a day that are written by people with a lot of talent. And they ALL want a book deal. They probably deserve it too. You have to separate yourself from the pack somehow. Think "Gypsy" babe, you got to have a gimmick...

Of course an agent is a good thing to have as well. Also, have you read her?

http://misssnark.blogspot.com

Keep the faith!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Read misssnark and am not impressed. Hope all literary agents are not alike.

To clarify, I am in no way trying to use my blog as a trampoline to a high-flyin' book deal. I feel most of the bloggers who have book deals are flashes in a pan: their writing merely reports the minituae of their curious lifestyle--there's no substance.

I see this blog for what it is: a personal journal available to the public.

Really, enough memoirs, people. Apply yourself to your writing.

4:46 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

To clarify as well, the three people I know, (and consider friends,) with book deals are not bloggers...

But to those bloggers that DO get book deals, power to them, you know? If that was how they got their writing noticed then I applaud their efforts.

It doesn't matter if you are the greatest writer in the world if no one is able to read your stuff. IMHO anyway. Take it for what it's worth...

I would love to see your book on the shelves, and I REALLY hope it happens for you!

5:33 PM  
Blogger marty said...

Have you tried hanging w/filmmakers including film school students who may need product?

7:52 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Marty, that is a splendid idea, thank you!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Bobulah said...

trouble, you know i'd buy your book in bulk, but you've chosen a frustrating profession! let's make a pact, whoever makes it first brings the other one along. hehe. muah! love ya. had fun last night! see ya this weekend!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

True dat, madam, trooooo dat. I'd offer words of encouragement if I weren't equally frustrated with my own writing options. (Haven't even had a free moment to write a word since 2004!)

Admittedly, I do like Kathy Griffin and the way she calls it as she sees it. One of the few honest people in Hollywood. That's probably why everyone ignores her!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

I know: I'll wear a very revealing outfit and storm the VIP room at Butter or the Bungalow. The ensuing fracas would land my in Page Six and Gawker, my blog would explode with readers, and publishing dealers will stalk me.

My sense of self-worth may never recover, but hey! Celebrity=talent!

9:18 PM  
Blogger I'm the Girl You Met Last Night said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home