Friday, September 16, 2005

Fashion Week

I have the distinct pleasure of walking past Bryant Park on my way from the subway to work and back, and this week featured a wholly different landscape than usual, thanks to Fashion Week. Preening model-types and fashionistas; harried editorial staff and fashion house underlings; schlubby media types trying vainly to blend in, all cramming the sidewalks and sqwuaking into their cellphones. I feel all unfashionable 5'2" chubby inches of myself in my Coldwater Creek outfit and flipflops, scuttling along to my uncool destination.

Don't get me wrong, I love fashion. I read the magazines and pay attention to the Fashion Week reports, and I do my best to replicate what happens to be fashionable at the moment with my discount store threads and shoes. Why, I even have a couple of real, honest-to-goodness luxe/couture items, however homely and simple. It's just that I can't get into the obsessiveness of it all. It's like a high school popularity contest, only the popular group has some serious ringers.

So, anyway, I walked by today and gave it a big "Feh!" And then, marching down the street with a small entourage, was Robert Verdi. He of makeover shows, E!, and Red Carpet fashion reports. I stared at his awesome shirt. He stared at...me! No, not like that, I'm certain he plays on the other team. I couldn't figure out why Robert Verdi would even look askance at me and then I remembered: the extreme humidity outside and the sweltering D-train had rendered my hair into a gigantic, red, frizzy, curly, fro. Indeed, he was looking at my hair in disbelief. I'm sure glad I could shake Robert Verdi out of his Fashion Week doldrums.

Laughing, I turned the corner onto 5th Ave, almost knocking over two girls giving out Boots comestics swag. Then I tripped while trying to simultaneously walk, hold in my stomach, and pull my shoulders back, and almost pancaked right at the entrace of Bryant Park. I recovered in time to see three models in red shorts and t-shirts walking three goats on dog leashes. I had to look twice to make sure that's really what I saw.

Only in New York during Fashion Week, kids, only in New York.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

LMAO. That's so me. I would have actually tripped and falled on someone, or something, perhaps one of the goats. I love the image of the giant red fro. Really I do.

I can't get caught up in all these fashion trends and way too expensive items. I think that I'm missing the fashion chromosome. I like to look good and be comfortable. I was looking through a magazine and they were advertising Luis Vitton and Dolce Garbana and I just didn't think that the purses they were showing were attractive. I like cute and practical.

But like I said, I must be missing the chromosome. Oh well. I'm still happy.

Love you!!

7:12 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I worked Fashion Week recently - something to see eh? Some of the skinniest women I've ever seen in my life, lots of cooler than cool women and flashbulbs going nonstop.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home