Friday, February 10, 2006

Primal Quest

So, Superfly and I went to a media launch party last night for Primal Quest. He was schmoozing for his photography business (specializing in outdoor/adventure sports photography), and I was there for the free drinks.

Before last night, if you asked me what in tarnation Primal Quest is, I would've rolled my eyes and dismissed it as an extreme-sport hobby for millionaires. Er,...mea culpa. Here's a quote from their media kit:

"Primal Quest is not only the last of the great expedition-length adventure races, it is generally considered to be the most difficult endurance event on the planet. It is the longest, largest and most lucrative adventure race in the world, sending 90 Co-Ed teams across 400+ miles of the most rugged and remote terrain in North America."

And it isn't limited to super-intense Ironman elite athletes, either. Present at the party last night, and featured in their media kit is one Randall Huebner, great-grandfather. Superfly talked to him for a bit about the training they do for this race while I watched the server drawing ever near with free appetizers. The Primal Quest athletes were asked to raise their hands, we were astonished to learn the very normal-looking woman standing next to us in a fleece jacket and Peruvian hat is a judo champion, diving champ, firefighter, and Ironman triathalon winner for her age group (which looked to be the same as mine).

There I am: hanging out in a cool Chelsea bar and sipping a free Cap'n & Coke, coming dreadfully close to thinking, "I can do this. I can train like a demon, find sponsorships, become a Primal Quest competitor..."

Shaken, fortunately, from my reverie by a table full of swag from Primal Quest sponsors, I fill my arms with logo keychains and energy bars and score one last piece of mini-portabella pizza before we jet back to Brooklyn. If you've ever taken the R train to Bay Ridge, you know I'm joking about the "jet" part.

The life of an elite, world-class athlete is not for me. For one thing, I hate to wear socks. Back to watching them on ABC Sports on a lazy Sunday afternoon, pushing their competitive selves through insanely punishing endurance and strength trials. Some things are just better left to the professionals.

PRIMAL QUEST

2 Comments:

Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

And WASHING those socks after all those hard workouts must be NASTY!

4:38 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

*note to self*

NO DINNER at Tribble's!

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home