Thursday, August 10, 2006

Buzz! Whirr!

Received my first two of fifteen fillings today, the "worst" ones. Must say that local anaesthetics are much improved from the last time I visited the dentist (eigth grade) for some hot dental amalgam action. I only jumped through the ceiling once, when the good Dr.'s miniature belt sander veered a bit close to my poor nerve. Tried valiantly to keep my stupid tongue out of the way so I could actually talk later, and failed. Noticed that the dental hygienist kept asking me questions so she could determine if I was sufficiently numb and stopped trying to speak normally.

It was quick and dirty, done in 30 minutes. I get to go back on Monday for 5-6 more. The left side of my head is gooey and my jaw hurts from clenching my teeth (lest I drool), but it was otherwise no big whoop. I'm not exactly looking forward to more drilling, sanding, buffing, and metalwork in my skull but I am certainly looking forward to an end to the heinous tooth pain ruining all my meals.

Apologies to those afraid of dentists for the graphic imagery. Really sorry, actually, because the longer you put off a trip to the dentist, the worse it will be for you--I didn't go because I was (am) lazy. Do you want to be like me? A root canal and 15 fillings? Of course not. So make that appointment TODAY. Many dentists now offer heavy sedation for even the tiniest dental procedure, so you chickens will only have to endure the waiting room for your annual cleaning.

Off to buy straws, through which I'll enjoy my supper--MWAH!

2 Comments:

Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

I hate the dentist and I am petrified of them. I've been fortunate and have had wonderfully kind and patient dentists. I hadn't been to the dentist in 2 years and was very lucky to get away with one cavity and crown. I do have to make my semi annual cleaning. But I do feel your pain. I hope you feel better soon.

4:59 AM  
Blogger marty said...

I have had 4 or 5 root canals, 2 of which I question the necessity for in retrospect.

So long as I am numbed, I'm indifferent as long as it needs to be done.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home