Friday, September 29, 2006

Ugly Betty

What a great show! I love it! Two thumbs up!

If you missed it Thursday night, you can check out the premiere episode on the web somewhere, probably. Look: I spend all day building webpages and attaching links and don't feel like doing it at home, mmkay? Suck it up.

America Ferrara isn't ugly. Who knows where they found this actress, and I can only imagine how adorable she is in real life. On the show, her hair is frizzy, she has braces, she wears goofy glasses, and she has zero fashion sense. She lucks in to an EA job for the Editor-in-Chief of a (very obviously) Vogue magazine clone, Mode. Lots of intrigue, hilarity, misunderstandings, and tender moments ensue.

Vanessa Williams as a catty striver! Gina Gershon as a slurry, buffoonish Donatella Versace-like creature! All models and other skeletarts portrayed as slutty bitches!

Did I mention I love it? Sure, I'm interning at a magazine as far removed from fashion as possible (and I wouldn't have it any other way), but from what I heard from the masochists who do work at fashion mags, this show's dishy view of nepotism, back-stabbing, intern abuse, and ingrained lunacy is rather spot-on.

I love that "Betty" is normal and happy that way. The character is plucky and determined, sweet, creative, and the kind of person you'd die to work with and/or be your BFF. And not just because she would have unfettered access to fashion glory.

Now I feel guilty for not providing links. Please, just watch the show. 8pm Thursdays. What else you gonna watch? Survivor? Please.

2 Comments:

Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I LOVED "Ugly Betty!" It was so well done and charming. Catty too ;-)

My kind of show!

4:35 AM  
Blogger Kaia said...

Need to see it - will catch the next one :)

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home