Monday, October 09, 2006

Another Personal Failing

I hate waiting for anything. The longer I have to wait for something, the less interested I am in having it. Yes, I do know that's rather childish behavior. Wanna make something of it?

This problem extends to all kinds of mystery, suspense, and surprises. That is; I can't stand them. I'm no fan of CSI shows, cop shows, lawyer dramas, or soap operas. All that manufactured drama, all that waiting and waiting and waiting for information. I know many people enjoy suspense and delight in the tense, breath-holding drama of it all. For me it's too stressful with too little payoff. I am a big fan of comedy--especially the slapstick kind. The immediacy is the draw there--along with the yuks, of course. Why should I have to work for my entertainment? Sheesh.

I know several people who will say surprises are their absolute favorite things, that they are sad when their special days do not involve the element of surprise. My usual reaction to surprise is panic of the "Hit the deck!" variety. I find most surprises are the unwelcome kind (with the notable exception of my Superfly boyfriend's masterful use of cunning subterfuge in the planning of my birthday).

I would be amiss not to point out that some surprises aren't perpetuated by anyone that's out to get you or by someone who loves you yet enjoys sneaking around behind your back: When surprise is a natural phenomena, I say it's a-ok. For example, say you dig your winter coat out of the closet, dust it off, and put it on. You reach in the pocket and find a $10 bill and a Metrocard with some rides on it. This kind of surprise RULES.

Superfly posits that my personal failing regarding suspense, mystery, and surprise is really all about me not trusting people. He's pretty smart, ain't he? I think I'll keep him.

How do you feel about waiting, suspense, mystery, surprises, and/or trust issues? Care to share your greatest or worst surprise, ever?

My greatest: Realizing it's true that love will find you, no matter what your circumstance.
My worst: Realizing someone you thought you knew and you thought loved you is more than willing, able, and ready to ruin your life, with tremendous gusto.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

I'm okay with a (pleasant) surprise as long as I don't know ahead of time that there's going to be one. But if someone says, "I have a surprise for you later!" it stresses me out beyond belief.

And agreed, those cop/lawyer shows are hard to watch.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Bobulah said...

greatest surprise: when you're a grownup, you can do whatever you want...

worst surprise: ...as long as you have the money.

7:54 AM  
Blogger marty said...

As an actor, I have to be prepared for anything that might go wrong on stage. Surprise goes with the job. But that's where Improv comes in.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home